Friday, August 19, 2011

Why Do you De-Box?

Some little Cha Cha queen from Brazil or Peru on my Flickr account asked me:



" Why do ju keep in box for...Si"



I think Psychologically (for me) it's about keeping some of the special moment you had when you first saw the object in the store.

While I have done research on persuasion tactics employed by the toy industry, I have not yet fully examined why some collectors chose to keep in box (forever) and some take out.

I've wondered also, if you take out of box (toys and dolls) are you really a collector? or do you just have or buy toys?

I've read in a book: Collecting: An Unruly Passion (which was a psycho analysis of collectors), Some people hold on to items for a while and then open them at a later date (me sometimes). Some researchers feel this has to do with their toilet training!

I like to delay pleasure or wait to the end of the work week to open dolls and toys (the ones I plan on opening) I have things that are bought in March that I wait until Christmas to open so I still keep that excitement for Christmas day!

And the ones I keep in box are sometimes to commemorate a special day or trip or I feel are too precious and exquisite to take out..or simply would look better in box!

So I will look for further research through the University search engine and get back to you

In the meantime what do you think??


3 comments:

  1. I've got quite a few figures from the 80's still in boxes! For me it's the same as you stated: that nostalgia from a certain time. I can pull one out and look at it and be transported back to middle school and feel the excitement of getting those toys back then.

    For me it was He-Man and She-Ra plus some Star Wars and GI Joes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a deboxer. The only time I leave anything in the box is if it has a really cool box or just looks great like that. Or maybe it's something I want ONLY for nostalgia and have it just on display. like my Love Boat action figures. I think they just look cool in their packages.
    But most everything I debox- I want to play and feel and touch everything. Seeing it in the box isn't enough for me to feel that feeling of when I was little and had it for the first time. I ripped it out of the box then- I need to feel it in order to enjoy it. (I even smell it some times)
    And There's no way i could ever keep something in a box from Christmas til march unless I just plain forgot about it.
    i need to feel it to fully enjoy it.

    Steven

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm strange. Some dolls are put out, others still in boxes. I'd like to debox and display everything some day. The main reason not to do that is the space, prefer keeping the most of my dolls in their boxes because they are away from the dust.
    Brani

    ReplyDelete